Saturday, July 20, 2013

Take a Walk or Take a Hike

In my younger years, when I told someone to take a walk or a hike, it meant that I wanted them to get away from me.  But these days, should I tell someone to take a walk, what I mean is that I want them refreshed so that they can stay close and continue to care for their loved one.

When our loved one is seriously ill in a hospital, we want to be by their side 24 hours a day – 7 days a week just in case they need us or their health deteriorates.  We want to be by their side and to let them know they are not alone.  This desire is praiseworthy. Yet, at the same time we, ourselves, must be intentional to take extra care of our own health.  We must make time to take routine walks and eat nutritious food. 

When I visit patient rooms and I notice a caregiver who has been constantly by their loved one side, I will say – “When was the last time you took a walk?  Have you eaten today?”

            “Oh no, I can’t.  Sally is helpless right now and needs me”  

            “Yes, I understand, but if you do not talk a walk – get fresh air- you – yourself will physically decline.  Then , when you are ill, you will have lost your strength and stamina and will be no earthy good for Sally.” 

Likewise, it is just as important for the followers of Jesus Christ , those of us you are desiring to be “Emmanuel Connections” in this world, to take a walk and sit a spell with Jesus Christ.   Take a walk in solitude with Him.   We must feed on His presence daily – or we will not have the strength or ability to do what God calls us to do every day.

Dare to be different.  In our world, to make time in the 24 hours He gives us to be with Him may make others think you are wasting time or you've become a Jesus freak – one of those radical Christians.

Do it anyway.

Order Her Book Here
Sarah Young’s devotion for today (July 20) is right on (as she is so many days).  Jesus reminds us through her:

“Do not be afraid to be different from other people. The path I have called you to travel is exquisitely right for you. The more closely you follow My leading, the more fully I can develop your gifts. To follow Me wholeheartedly, you must relinquish your desire to please other people. However, your closeness to Me will bless others by enabling you to shine brightly in this dark world” Devotional in Jesus Calling for July 20.

“Do not feel guilty about taking time to seek my face; you are simply responding to the tugs of divinity within you; I made you in my image, and I hid heaven in your heart.” Page 200 in Jesus Lives by Sarah Young.

Just do it.

                   Take a hike or even a short walk.

                                   Sit a spell today – and every day – with Jesus.  

                                              Only then will you have the stamina to meet the day.

Pray that I will do the same.


May God’s peace and blessing be with you my friend in Christ.  I am so glad we are on the Jesus Journey together.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thank you for the reminder... In order to hear that still small voice, I need to be quiet and away from the clutter..wise words today my friend..