Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Dog's View from the Prayer Bench

While sitting on the prayer bench on the back of the property, God gave me a sweet time of being still with Him.  I talked with Him about all my concerns asking Him to make Himself known to so many of us.  Then just stillness.  Just sitting and "being".

My attention was drawn to Barnabas who was lying down nearby. (This is something he rarely does as he is normally too busy investigating.)  God's Spirit then reminded me of part of the lesson we read in our worship service yesterday.  It's recorded in 1 King's 19.  Elijah is running away from Jezebel who is out to kill him.  He is discouraged, afraid and feels alone.  But God, seeing him, knowing his heart and knowing what lies ahead of him - provides and prepares food for him - which he needs to sustain him in the days ahead. 

(But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a solitary broom tree. He asked that he might die: "It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life, for I am no better than my ancestors." Then he lay down under the broom tree and fell asleep. Suddenly an angel touched him and said to him, "Get up and eat." He looked, and there at his head was a cake baked on hot stones, and a jar of water. He ate and drank, and lay down again. The angel of the LORD came a second time, touched him, and said, "Get up and eat, otherwise the journey will be too much for you.")


Then God's Spirit led me back to Barnabas.  He was God's provision for me even before I knew I would need him.  God literally brought this puppy up to me on the street in rural MS in 2010.  Barnabas then gave me one of his now famous hugs. I was a goner.  We adopted each other soon afterward.  God knew what life experiences I would travel through in the subsequent years.  God knew how He would minister to my spirit through Barnabas and that Barnabas would help me in the years to come.

We are ambassadors of an awesome God who knows our needs before we do.  He makes provisions to help us manage through our journey with sustenance for both physical and spiritual needs.  I am SO thankful I belong to HIM! 

No comments: