Saturday, June 4, 2011

Being Thankful in the Midst of Heat

Now in Daleville, MS
Overcast
Overcast
Temperature
97 °F
Feels Like 101 °F
Wind(mph)
13


It is a hot day in Daleville, Mississippi.   Because of the humidity, it seems much hotter here than even in the Turkana desert!  I am reminded of similar heat in the Kwale region of Kenya where there is high humidity.  Today it is 86F in the Kwale region with humidity at 97% percent.
Now in Kwale Region, Kenya
Overcast
Overcast
Temperature
87 °F
Feels Like 114 °F
Wind(mph)
09







I don’t know if it is because I was a visitor and the local residents did not want to complain in front of me or if they really do not murmur much about the weather conditions but I don’t remember muttering about the heat.  People go about getting the day’s chores done and it is done with a lot more thankfulness to God for His provisions than I experience…and give… in the USA.  They realize how dependent they are on God for His gifts…water..food..shelter.   I, too, am dependent on Him for everything.  God has used visits to our friends in Christ in Kenya and Rwanda to encourage me to be increasingly thankful to Him for His provisions and to give Him honor for His generosity.

I shared with a few folks in the Daleville area this week the gifts that the Turkana people gave.  They gave me items such as the containers in which they keep oil, minced meat holders, wooden spoons, walking sticks and chairs.  They even gave me a pair of shoes and the women gave me a traditional dress.   Being a nomadic people, they own very little. 

They gave what they had to welcome me and share their appreciation for my visit.  It reminded me of the biblical account of the widow who gave two very small copper coins (Luke 21).  I know that God will honor their generosity to this foreigner in their land.  May God grace me with generosity that equals theirs.



The traditional women attire.











Pray with me that I accomplish the goal I set for the coming week which is  to write a few of the accounts of the experiences and people who shared this last journey with me. 




No comments: