Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Such as authentic relationship …and it’s available to us.

This morning’s pondering is based on John 17.  Jesus, as you recall, is celebrating the Passover meal with his disciples.  He has been talking with them over many topics.  He knew that his time on this earth as we know it was about to end.  He also knew that he was going to endure suffering.  How did he know?  Was it because he was God? I propose that it was because of his close relationship with God – because, as you recall, Jesus was fully human.  Just like us in every way except sin. 

There came a point in the evening meal that Jesus starting praying to God – it appears to be in the midst of the group at the celebration.  Read the whole chapter of John 17 but this morning this is the section which touches me (Verses 20-23)

20 “I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message.

21 I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.
22 “I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one.23 I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me.

Jesus’ relationship is SO close with the Father that they are one.  What is incredible to me is that same type of relationship with the Father and Jesus IS available to us NOW.  When we are living that kind of relationship, in unity with God, it then makes it possible to have unity with others who also have that same relationship with God!  O Lord let it be that way in me!   This is such an awe-filled thought to me!  There have been times when I just assumed that only Jesus, because he is the son of God, could have that degree of closeness.  He thought of us.  Even on that night, he was thinking not only of the people in that room but also for you and for me.  He wants us to experience that same type of dynamic genuine relationship with GOD!!

Jesus, thank you so much for praying that we too might have the relationship with God as you do – that we, too, may be one.  I yearn for it.  I ask for each person who desires to walk in the way of you, Jesus, while we are here on earth; that we too may experience that unity with YOU and with one another.  God thank you SO much for loving us as much as you .

No comments: