Friday, November 1, 2013

Hunger Pains

St Peter’s mission has been called into a season of 40 Days of Fasting.  We’re asking for God to give  us, as a community of faith, direction as to our future; but also enliven many other aspects of our spiritual life such as deepen our faith, our worship experience, to move in our city- just to name a few.

On one occasion when I had abstained from food to use that time for prayer, I was experiencing a lot of hunger pains.  Silly is it not?  I was only missing  one meal of the day but my body was so used to receiving food as certain times of day it started complaining and demanding FEED ME NOW! 


Physical hunger pains tell us we need food.  Jesus, in his 40 days in the wilderness before his ministry officially began, told satan :  "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"  (Matthew 4:4)  So what are my hunger pains when I have missed a prayer time of feasting on God’s word?  They are not as pronounced.  Yet, the danger to our soul is so much greater when we fast from God’s word.


May God develop “hunger pains” in my soul when I miss a daily meal at His table.

No comments: